Saturday, September 15, 2012

TEASER:

I'm sure Cyndee (step-daughter) wouldn't want me to show the entire cake, but here is the top layer of the faux cake I made for her shower and wedding decoration. It has 3 layers; the 2nd layer will hold cards at the wedding and all 3 layers will store memorabilia after the wedding. It is HUGE. It's about 30" across and I'm guessing 35" tall. This is a photo of part of the top layer. The "doily" is a Sizzix brand die that I cut in my Big Shot Die Cut Machine. The "love" word is tissue paper with the word rubber stamped on it. The metal decoration is napkin rings where I cut the seam and then ran them thru my Big Shot die cut machine to flatten them. Then I sewed them onto the box, making the quilting thread holes with an awl. This was hugely time consuming, but an act of love, and expression of my happiness at their wedding. This is the 3rd faux cake I've made, but the other two were MUCH smaller, and can be seen on the side margin of this blog.  I got the idea for the faux cakes from seeing ones made by Lisa Kaus.

No comments: